The Corrections Technology Forum was held earlier this month, 11-13 December, and brought together state corrections administrators, corrections CIOs, probation administrators and technologists, and a limited number of sponsoring industry representatives to engage in direct dialog about current information sharing initiatives and solutions and solutions on the horizon.
Held in Arlington, Virginia, the event was attended by correctional leaders and technologists from 15 state corrections agencies, 5 community corrections agencies and 5 large jail systems. Partnering organizations for the event were the American Correctional Association (ACA), the American Probation and Parole Association (APPA), and the Corrections Technology Association (CTA). The American Jail Association also partnered with IJIS for the 2015 Forum and invited administrators and technologists from 5 large jail systems.
The 2015 Forum included the following topics/discussions:
- Dr. Alan Shark of the Public Technology Institute spoke about Future Management Schemes for Technology Leadership,
- Mike Roosa of the Bureau of Justice Assistance presented on the topic of Use of Body Worn Cameras in Corrections,
- Kshemendra Paul, Program Manager, Information Sharing Environment, provided the luncheon keynote on National Information Sharing – Value to Corrections,
- Brian Hill of Edevo presented on Secure Connectivity in Corrections,
- Kamala Mallik-Kane of the Urban Institute talked about Health and Continuity of Care,
- Innovative Technology for Offender Programming was presented by Heather Erwin,
- Criminal Intelligence and Collaboration with Correction Agencies was presented by Glenn Fueston, Associate Deputy Director, Washington-Baltimore HIDTA, and
- Cybersecurity in Corrections was presented by Mike Alagna of Sidetalk Solutions, LLC.
Industry participants and sponsors included the following IJIS Member companies: Amazon Web Services, CNTinfotech, Esri, LEINTEL, Marquis Software, Microsoft Corporation, Securus Technologies, and Social Solutions. I would like to send them a special word of thanks for their support and participation of this important event.
The 2015 Corrections Technology Forum was the second successful Corrections Forum hosted by the IJIS Institute. The 2013 Forum was attended by practitioners from 21 state corrections agencies and 5 large county probation agencies. Partner organizations in 2013 included ACA, the APPA, and CTA.
There are plans in the works for the 2016 Corrections Technology Forum. If you are interested in sponsoring the Forum next year, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.